So, it's been a while since I last posted (about 2 weeks!) so sorry for everybody that's been checking up and seeing no new developments. I kept telling myself that I would write a post but I really hadn't done anything exciting enough to feel obligated to post. So, here's how things have been the past couple of weeks...
---School---
School has been pretty good so far. All 4 of my classes are really good, although my Film class has easily distinguished itself as the most fun and my Programming class has become my most informative class. Here's a quick breakdown:
Arts 1060 - Intro to Film - We watch a movie each lecture. This past week we watched Alfred Hitchcock's Vertigo which was a good film although I didn't like it nearly as much as Psycho. This week we're watching Unforgiven, a classic Clint Eastwood film which I'm REALLY looking forward to. I have to give a presentation the day after on Film Genre which should be fun too. I think this class has become my favorite since not only is watching movies in class awesome but it's really the only class that has group discussion so I feel like I'm meeting a bunch of new people. It's also cool since most of the film's are American so I get to catch snippet's of the Australian view point of American society.
Comp 2041 - Software Construction - If you don't know a lot about computer language's this section will probably mean next to nothing to so I apologize in advance :). This class so far has been using Linux (the 3rd operating system behind Window's and Mac OS X) and has been teaching UNIX (the original portable operating system). If you remember old Window's computers, they used to load up with the black screen and the white text, which was UNIX. UNIX has been REALLY cool since it's really taught me a whole bunch about how deeper levels of the operating system work besides C++. Later in the course we learn shell scripts and some Perl, which I'm really looking forward to.
Math 2801 - Higher Level Statistics - This class has been absolutely insane. We learn about 500 things a lecture which definitely keeps me on my toes. I really like the subject, I just really dislike how a lot of formulas are only differentiable by the use of a capital X verse a lower case x (or other letters). It's really confusing seeing 3 "u's" on the board and getting confused as to how some don't cross out just because 1 of them is a capital and the other 2 are lower case. I'm getting used to it though and really you just need to apply the correct formula to get the correct answer. I'm glad that I still remember integration since that's really really important in a lot of the things that we're working on!
Comp 3121 - Algorithms and Programming Techniques - This class is really cool yet really difficult at the same time. Our last homework had about 10 questions but each question took me at least 20 minutes to answer (and it was just one question, not like 1a-g or anything). As an example, the first question was "You have 12 coins. 1 is a counterfeit and is either lighter or heavier than the others (although you do not know which). Using only 3 measurements on a balance, determine the counterfeit coin and whether it is lighter or heavier." It was a long process to get the answer and I wish I had my giant white-board with me but I eventually got the correct answer :). The professor says that we're moving out of the math-based sections in the logic based sections which I'm looking forward to since I was never a big fan of algorithm performance times and that's been a dominating factor so far.
---Not school---
Not school has been really fun. I still go to the beach quite a lot which is nice. I haven't been into Sydney to go sight-seeing as much as I would have liked recently but since I got my bus pass today I hope that I'll be able to go in after school some days. Today I was planning on going to go to the Sydney aquarium with a friend but they had to fly out to the Gold Coast so I'll have to do that another time. I'm also planning on going out to the Blue Mountains which should be fun and should get me some good pictures :)
I don't have any new pictures to post so sorry! You'll just have to keep tuning in :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Dear Jeff:
ReplyDeleteI am glad that you enjoy your classes and meeting new people. Benjamin loved Unforgiven. That is his favorite movie of all time and agrees with you that Psycho is better than Vertigo. He thinks that you should watch French films of the 30's and 40's. Thank you for your posts. Take Care and Be Well. Love you, Aunt Milly